Sign in to follow this  
ash_XP

IDE HDD not visible in my computer

hi all,

my friend just bought a new SATA hdd and in the upgrade decided to go from WinXP SP3 to Win 7 7000 build 64bit. All went well except for one problem.

1) he has two hdd's, 1 SATA and 1 IDE

2) installed windows 7 64 bit on the SATA drive (the IDE drive has WinXP install on it as well as his personal files)

3) with both drives hooked up and booting into windows 7 64 bit, a quick look into device manager and disk management shows both drives attached and working. However the IDE drive is not viewable in my computer. the files are intact as i used Acronis disk director to explore the drive, but there is no copy/paste section that will allow me to simply copy the files over to the new drive so i can format the IDE drive.

has anyone else come across this issue? ive read a little about some people thinking that it could be the ide drive clashing with a dvd writer so a movementi n jumpers may be necessary, but it doesnt seem like that would apply to this situation as the setup was known working when the machine was running XP as the primary OS.

any help available :)

Edited by ash_XP

Aww hell I know nothin' about Win7 ... my only advice is you could set your IDE to master and boot back up to XP, as long as the SATA drive pops up you can just transfer the files from there and swap back to the SATA Win7 install...helpful?

Aww hell I know nothin' about Win7 ... my only advice is you could set your IDE to master and boot back up to XP, as long as the SATA drive pops up you can just transfer the files from there and swap back to the SATA Win7 install...helpful?

ok heres wat i did to fix it all up. feel free to ask questions if i dont go into enuff detail :)

1) IDE drive with XP installed was master (board only has single ide channel)

2) DVD burner set as slave on same IDE channel

3) SATA drive setup on first SATA channel

(ORIGINAL PROBLEM) My mate installed Win 7 on the sata drive, booting into Win 7 showed IDD hdd in device manger but not my computer.

- Swapped the IDE HDD with the IDE DVD burner thus making HDD slave and burner master, as i figured it may be due to them clashing as they were both active partitions.

- Booted system up, and got "BOOTMGR is missing", turned out my mate installed Win 7 on the SATA HDD whilst the IDE HDD was still connected, and due to it already having the boot manager installed on it it added the info to boot to Win 7 to the boot mangers records on the IDE HDD.

- Disconnected IDE HDD, threw in Win 7 disc, and did the "bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot, bootrec /rebuildbcd" then rebooted pc, then used the repair startup option on the install dvd. Rebooted again, and the pc booted to Win 7.

- Shut down PC, reconnected IDE HDD as slave and IDE DVD burner as master. PC booted to Win 7 successful.

- copied necessary files over from IDE HDD to SATA HDD, then formatted IDE HDD to use for storage.

- Problem fixed.

Note however i did have a few problems with the bootrec /fixmbr and the others, I need to do all 3 before the bootmgr was fixed, even then i still did the repair startup option fromt he installation disc. I believe i needed to do this because, seeing as how there was no bootmgr installed on the disc, and thus couldnt have been broken, that the rebuilding of the boot configuration data needed to be completed. I dont fully yet understand the BCD but am looking into it.

Hope this can help someone in the future.

Glad to hear that it's all sorted. You say you only have the one IDE channel to work with and two IDE drives (optical and HDD)? There's no way to hook the optical up through a SATA port? And in point of fact this install would have gone a lot smoother if somebody (not naming names) installed it properly the first time.... :-)

yeah mates board only has a single IDE controller, so yes two channels. one for ide hdd and one for ide dvd drive. And yes i was questioning myself when my mate was asking about installing windows as he said he hadnt really done it besides using a restore to out of the box install. probably should have kept an eye on him, especially since our pc's are in the same room lol