Sign in to follow this  
ash_XP

re-image pc to SOE using image from usb key

hey all,

I was looking into a job that requires me to re-image a set of office pc's to a SOE. Now when i was completeing my it traineeship oh so long ago I used to use norton ghost and set a multicast from the server to send the image to a bunch of the machines that required re-imaging. Id just boot the pc's from a ghost floppy and then they would image themselves from the server. I think i also remember doing in from a cd based image as well.

however for this job im required to do re-image these pcs via a usb key and im not sure how to go about doing it. google hasnt provided much information either. has anyone done this before and could give me a run down on how it goes or point me in the direction of a link that can shed some light on it for me.

thanks heaps :)

You cn use the utility here to format a USB key as a boot disk. Once you've done that you can do what you like- if your USB key is big enough just whack the DOS EXE for your imaging software and the image itself on the key, and just boot off the USB key and reimage the PC from there.

You can also check out Barts Network Boot Disk here and set up your USB key to boot DOS then logon to a domain or workgroup, and access the image software and the images over the network (might be a bit faster than the first option). This method is what I use and it works pretty well.

If you're going to fiddle with boot disks you might want to check out VFD which is a virtual floppy drive- you can dump files on it as if it was a floppy, save it as an image and use the image to format your USB key with. Much easier and quicker than dealing with physical floppies :P

Have you got ghost at your disposal?

yes i recently got a copy of symantec ghost suite 2.5 from a friend to try out, he said to check out the symantec video tutorials from the web site which ive started goin through. havent seen anything on there really talking about using the usb to image the system though. mostly just building an image and using unicast or multicast (not sure which one it was) to send the image to the pc.