Sign in to follow this  
atomicnewbie

Is having integrated graphics okay for gaming?

Depends.

What games do you want to play?

If it's WoW? Then sure.

Depending on the integrated GPU you might even be able to play some of the more modern games OK.

However, the mainstream GPU's aren't exactly expensive, and the performance jump between a discrete GPU and an integrated one is huge so there's almost no reason not to get one, unless you plan to be doing office work and maybe playing some 3D chess.

depends on the chipset you could possibly play some recentish games on low detail at 800x600 possibly 1024x768.

if you want to play games i would invest in a GPU even a card at about the $80 mark would out perform integrated without breaking a sweat, but if you do intend to play some of the more recent games (Crysis, Far Cry2 ect) it would be worth looking at maby an ATI 46xx or an Nvidia 9600

Edited by cleadge

I have a spare machine with onboard hd3200 graphics and it can play Grid at lower res and still look decent.

The gigabyte box reckons it can get 2000+ 3dmarks 06.

Mobo is MA78GM-S2H.

Its even got full hd 1080p blu ray play back.

A dvi and vga plug at back and hdmi plug.

I have a spare machine with onboard hd3200 graphics and it can play Grid at lower res and still look decent.

The gigabyte box reckons it can get 2000+ 3dmarks 06.

Mobo is MA78GM-S2H.

Its even got full hd 1080p blu ray play back.

A dvi and vga plug at back and hdmi plug.

Keep in mind 2000 3D Marks is absolutely nothing, most dedicated Budget GPU's get at least 6000. In terms of HD playback most integrated cards can do it as budget motherboard manufacturers prioritise this over gaming. The majority of people who own motherboards with integrated graphics generally use them for work and school or in workstation computers. Its a cheaper alternative when heavy graphic rendering is not required.

Simply put integrated GPU have never been designed with gaming grunt in mind (In reference to newer games), its all about DVD's, Blue ray and HD playback. For out of hours entertainment =)

You could go with a motherboard based on a 780G or 790GX (a bit better) chipset and then if you needed later one, get an ATI video card and have the GPUs work together.

hybrid xfire will only work with a HD3xxx card (i think it is), IMO would be quite a waste for sub average performance at best.

hybrid xfire will only work with a HD3xxx card (i think it is)

You are right. I should have thought of that.

It depends on what games you're playing. Graphically intense games will run horrible on integrated graphics, while easy-to-run games will run fine.

Just buy a cheap GPU. But thats if you dont want to play any thing really new.