hassanm_321

Best Graphics Card for Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop 350w

I have Dell 530 Inspiron Desktop.

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU q6600 2.4ghz

Ram 6Gig

24 inch monitor

I don't do much gaming mostly movie editing using pinnacle software. What would be the best card you recommend. If Im just doing video editing do I need more memory on the graphics card and is there one that is DDR3 that runs on 350w power supply or would DDR2 or DDR3 even make a difference if I'm just using it for video editing.

I would rather keep it simple by not adding a power supply but if I must I was thinking about the corsair here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139004

That way I could the type of card if needed. Thanks

The newegg page is not available.

But if you want to keep the PSU, I'd go with an HD 3850 512mb, using very little power it should run on your current PSU.

And, just for reference, DDR2 and DDR3 do make considerable differences in performance.

The newegg page is not available.

But if you want to keep the PSU, I'd go with an HD 3850 512mb, using very little power it should run on your current PSU.

And, just for reference, DDR2 and DDR3 do make considerable differences in performance.

A HD4670 would provide the same or more performance in a lower power envelope. It doesn't even need an extra 4, 6 or 8 pin connector, all power comes from the PCIe slot.

The HD4830 or 9800GT would probably be fine with that with that PSU as well.

Does the pinnacle software support GPU acceleration? If so you might want to get a card that would give you a boost there.

If it doesn't, whatever card you get won't have an impact on video editing, just gaming.

I found a Radeon HD4670 here that is DDR3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161252. Does finding a card with GPU acceleration increase the power supply requirements. What do you think about this card could you provide a link to a specific one. I see Radeon HD4670 but different names such HIS Highteck, ATI, and so on. Does that matter when picking the Radeon HD4670. Thanks for all the feedback.

As has been mentioned in your other thread you've posted here http://www.avforums.com/forums/graphics-ca...-i-can-get.html a HD4670 should suit you well. Fits your £50/AU$115 budget and should run fine in your setup.

I think MiskerK is spot on with his post.

If you wanted to spend a little more the HD4830 or 9800GT are better choices and will help keep your investment last longer. Of course those typically require a 6-pin power to be attached to them which your PSU mightn't have. So if you go for one of those make sure the package comes with a molex to 6-pin power adapter.

As for the video editing, as far as I know most software is still CPU bound. A new card might make things smoother compared to the on board graphics but it probably won't accelerate your editing in any way.

Which brand doesn't really matter much, just look at warranties and package contents and decide on that.

I decided on the HD4670, but lookig at their page for the specs. It says 400watt power supply and mine is a 350w. Will it work on my machine?

http://ati.amd.com/products/Radeonhd4600/requirements.html

Should be OK, the system requirements are overspecced because a lot people use crappy generic PSUs which aren't really capable at the stated rating.

It will be fine, they are a damn fine card, need no extra power connectors and even at full load dont use much power.

The HIS brand 4670 would be a good choice.