Mademan

Three New NFS games announced

NFS Nitro - arcade game for nintendo Wii and DS only, still featuring real world licenses

NFS Shift - "Hardcore" simulator, developed by a collaboration of staff from various studios, including several (presumably former) SimBin employees. Features real racing circuits, so presumably some sort of ProStreet formula.

NFS World - MMOG game, presumably NFS Carbon on a global scale, with emphasis on exploration and interaction

Whilst I ignored Undercover, and ProStreet failed to deliver, it appears EA may have learnt their lesson in terms of content and quality. It certainly hasn't hurt their ambition though - some (ok, I) would argue that EA has enough trouble making a single NFS game.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6203924.html?t...adlines;title;1

I just hope they do something about the shitty, cheap rubberband AI that's plagued the series since MW.

Take a page out of GRiD's AI, and I'll be back into it like a shot.

True, nothing beats having a 1,000,000 HP car, get 50 mins ahead of the competition, then with a single 5 second accident, they've overtaken you. Something needs to be done about both how easy it is to obtain a really really fast car and beat the competiton, and how artificial the difficulty of the opponents is when you crash.

Looks like damage will be in Shift as well, and dash view too (a first since Porsche 2000).

ive never thought of the NFS games as sims, more just arcade, which is why i play them, hope they dont go too serious, we have enough real racing sims out there, GRID, LFS, GTR etc, i love me the arcade action and modding of underground and prostreet.

I do like the car customization, however NFS has, in recent times, lacked any sort of car that I really wanted to drive, or indeed mod. And NFS has, in recent times, been 'too arcadey'. Like the handling in ProStreet, where you could just about see the rails that your car was driving on, even when the assists were supposedlly off. I doubt it will go into the same league as GTR, the game still has to appeal to a broader audience. But a little dash of GT in there couldn't hurt.

I only played 10 minutes of Undercover, I didn't like driving into the sun constantly with a highly pronounced lens flare.

I didn't mind Prostreet or Carbon, carbon was way oo short and small for my liking. I love underground 2 and most wanted though.

i just want... another... Porsche 2000... is that too much to ask for? really?

dont leave me hanging here.

All I can say is, Need For Speed is dead.

EA never learns, do they.

Edited by Blue Fire

NFS World - MMOG game, presumably NFS Carbon on a global scale, with emphasis on exploration and interaction

Well EA's Motor City Online failed to grab the masses so maybe they might get it right the second time around.

Well at least there is a glimmer of hope with Shift. But for the love of god....no more rice racers....

Bring back the glory days of NFS. Porches, Lambo's, etc.....

Exactly, the cars you wish you could drive, not your next door neighbour's WRX. Not much info has been released so far, but I think the first screenshot from Shift was certainly making a statement - dashboard view from a Pagani Zonda. I've often criticised GT for just cloning itself and not leading the racer genre forward, it would appear that GT5 has really pushed at least one boundry this time, and now others must follow. Having the lead developer of GT Legends is also a huge shot in the arm for credibility, certainly in my view. There is hope...

Meh Undercover was utter shit. It's over NFS is dead let it go. Grid / Fuel (still hate grid for killing my save) NFS SE2 thats this shiz!

I am still extremly pissed that after reading a NFS U review that said go get Midnight Club 2 it's wayyyy better and then finding out it's console only BAH!

EA wont learn unless no one buys the game gosh lol i must say if they dont screw up the MMO version i will buy it. Cruise round with my buds lol

IMO they need to go back to the glory days of Hot Pursuit/Porshe 2000.

but i do think that carbon was a decent game, could have been alot better if it was longer and had more variety to it i guess.

I think EA has been caught up with the "Tuner Cars" aspect of the games, when i feel they should be mixing it up more with exotic cars, and bring back Pursuit mode damn it.

just adding my 2c.

I thought the drift mechanics were terrible in Carbon, or at least in the demo I played. Tap an arrow key, that car would virtually turn 180 degrees. It was like "look mummy, no hands!!!"

I think EA are certainly heading in a different direction with "Shift". Even the name, it sounds exactly like the sort of corporate franchise self advertising jargon you get out of American companies - the game is a "shift" in focus, a new direction, a "shift" away from past evils. All they have to do is back it up with substance.

If they make yet another stupid tuner, rice rocket game, I am going to gnaw my arms off! They had the mix right with Porsche 2000. Sorta believable handling & cars that you can't afford. And I would love to see a return to circuits and tracks. I am sick to death of driving around cities!

... And I would love to see a return to circuits and tracks. I am sick to death of driving around cities!

I'm with you on that one. But I like customising the car - it'd just be nice if you could customise more than the look and general characteristics of your car. More under-the-hood components please! I love the arcade feel, but I agree that MW was the last good NFS so far.

I just put 20 hours into Burnout Paradise - Ultimate Box on PC over the weekend. I love the city and the the cars and the speeeeeed! I really miss the crash junctions though. The bikes also kick ass!

As much as the NFS games of late have been horrible some of the tracks in the originals were pretty awesome.

As far as customising goes I want 3 level options (Low Med High) for Engine, Boost, Handling and maybe Look I get really shitty when I spend 45 minutes tricking out a car and then win a better car the very next race.

Tuning Fo cars is a bit boring I would rather be racing.

I liked NFS Underground 2 the most out of all of them.

MW second.

Haven't tried out the new one, undercover though, looks ok.

I agree though in the old days you had some kick ass cars to drive, you dont get much

with ea these days!

As much as I loathe the whole tuner car culture, or at least, the companies that try to cash in on it and market it as a current trend, Undercover 1 and 2 weren't bad games. The drift tracks were actually quite good. The only thing I hated, apart from the cut scenes, and every single song on the soundtrack, was having 15 million options to tune your car engine, and all of them merely doing the same thing. I think they should make it that engine tuning are hidden bonuses that are really hard to come by, like the junkyard specials in MW. I also hated having to trick my nice, decent and discreet looking ride into a christmas tree on four wheels just to satisfy Underground 2's idea of what a good looking car is, even having to tune things like the speaker sound system setup and layout in the boot, and the car door types, which were only visible in the tuner shops you bought them from :P

Is there any game out there that has the feel of NFS Porsche 2000? Or do I have to drag out my old copy and play through that again?

I'm with the guys on Porsche 2000, I love that game and still play it every now and then. GT1 ftw!

The series went downhill pretty steeply after that. The three new games are probably going to be laughable and come on ... three of them just so that they can grab a bigger chunk of the market (all consoles and "tastes" hahaha) and get as many to buy their trash! Bah!!