Sign in to follow this  
Errorist

A Junk E-mail a minute...

Hi Guys,

It appears that a friend of mine's e-mail address has been hi-jacked for use as a junk-mail distributor.

I've informed my friend who has de-activated his hotmail account and yet I'm still receiving e-mails from his hotmail address...

When I attempt to bounce back an e-mail I receive a postmaster notification that it failed.

This is getting a bit out of hand... each e-mail is only 4.4kb, and yet it's a major irritation.

Any suggestions?

Also, is there a government body that I can send this junk e-mail to, or are they not interested in it yet?

Check if your ISP offers a spam filtering service.

What mail client do you use?

You can report spam to the ACMA but I doubt they'll be able to do anything with it unless it's from an identifiable [Australian] business.

Indeed, Midnighter, that was my thought... Proving where it it's actually from, though... not sure how to/if I can do that.

segger: iiNet don't seem to offer any kind of filtering service... The only thing I've been able to do is label it as junk, it still gets downloaded through whatever e-mail client I'm using (Mail for my iBook and Outlook for windows, which has been set to delete all e-mails from that sender).

if you view the full mime header you can get the IP addresses the email came from.

as such, if they dont match hormails server IPs, then its not from them.

Use Mailwasher to check your box first, train it to label stuff as spam, and nuke it before downloading from pop server. Usually works ok.