Sign in to follow this  
Achillesjg

Wife's system keeps getting these emails

My wife's system constantly gets emails like the one below, sometimes 50 per day. They're always similar, referencing addresses in Russia, or Kazakhstan (I think that's where the .kz addresses come from). She always deletes them immediately, without reading them. Her system is a newly formatted Vista Home Premium 32 Bit Machine running Norton Internet Security. Any ideas how to stop these, and what's sending them? She doesn't have any contacts in Russia, so I'm suspicious about the content of these mails.

The original message was received at Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:49:57 +0300 (MSK)

from [125.32.162.77]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<eiddd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

(reason: 550 User unknown)

<chemodanova@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<mlg@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<james@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<alickd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<alickdd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<eva@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<eidd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<h@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to enzyme-e-204a-2.chem.msu.ru.:

>>> RCPT To:<h@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<<< 550 User unknown

550 5.1.1 <h@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>... User unknown

>>> RCPT To:<eidd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<<< 550 User unknown

550 5.1.1 <eidd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>... User unknown

>>> RCPT To:<eva@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<<< 550 User unknown

550 5.1.1 <eva@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>... User unknown

>>> RCPT To:<alickdd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<<< 550 User unknown

550 5.1.1 <alickdd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>... User unknown

>>> RCPT To:<alickd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<<< 550 User unknown

550 5.1.1 <alickd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>... User unknown

>>> RCPT To:<james@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<<< 550 User unknown

550 5.1.1 <james@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>... User unknown

>>> RCPT To:<mlg@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<<< 550 User unknown

550 5.1.1 <mlg@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>... User unknown

>>> RCPT To:<chemodanova@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<<< 550 User unknown

550 5.1.1 <chemodanova@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>... User unknown

>>> RCPT To:<eiddd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

<<< 550 User unknown

550 5.1.1 <eiddd@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>... User unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return-Path: <@bigpond.net.au>

Received: from MICROSOF-5EA12C ([125.32.162.77])

by rt1.chem.msu.ru (8.14.2/8.14.2) with ESMTP id n134nkrP098625;

Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:49:57 +0300 (MSK)

(envelope-from @bigpond.net.au)

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:49:57 +0800

X-Priority: 3 (Normal)

Message-Id: <8189124984.42834439830954@bigpond.net.au>

To: h@enzyme.chem.msu.ru

In-Reply-To: <29305C9321EBF6EB805C9A6E44BF6E4BFDA67FDADA67@enzyme.chem.msu.ru>

References: <0C930C9AD321E444B8217F67F6EBF67F6E4BF6E4B821@enzyme.chem.msu.ru> <BFD32178055C1780C9ADADADA6EB821780@bigpond.net.au>

Subject: =?koi8-r?B?5M/T1NXQzsHRIHDFy8zBzcE=?=

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="--------------------WK3CQS5R5DO205"

Edited by Achillesjg

Well it's most likely not a problem with her system but rather that her email address is part of that particular spammer's database.

If she really wants to keep that email address, you would be looking at some anti spam software or a service like the one provided by mailguard.

I'm not familiar with what is part of the Norton security suite these days as I tend to avoid it.

Hmmm, I might contact telstra, then.

Can anyone point me at somewhere where I can read up on this phenomenon? I'm interested to learn more.

Here is a good starting point to read about Spam . As for what to do about it well you could retire the address. But you may, and most likely will get spammed again.

I use Mailwasher pro to handle spam it looks at the mail while it is still at the server, and using pre existing rules selects mail as spam and when you "Wash" your mail removes it from the mail server so you do not download it. You also can add a mail to your "black list" for deleting, and conversely add an address to your "friends list" to keep the mail. These lists can be backed up in case of installing a fresh copy of windows.

Mailwasher also lets you use it for free for one address only so this may be a solution for now and into the future, I find spam comes in waves sometimes it dies down to only 3 or 4 a month up to 10 to 20 a day, but at least I get to keep my email address so clients can always reach me. Just don't forget to check your emails through mailwasher first, and before "washing" make sure none of the mail marked for deleting is actually a mail you want to keep. If it is simply right click on the email and select "add to friends list".

Here is the link Mailwasher

Edited by bowiee

I can tell you now Telstra won't do a thing, 50 emails is what they would get per microsecond.

I'd migrate the address to a GMail account and let it work it's magik.

Here is a good starting point to read about Spam . As for what to do about it well you could retire the address. But you may, and most likely will get spammed again.

I use Mailwasher pro to handle spam it looks at the mail while it is still at the server, and using pre existing rules selects mail as spam and when you "Wash" your mail removes it from the mail server so you do not download it. You also can add a mail to your "black list" for deleting, and conversely add an address to your "friends list" to keep the mail. These lists can be backed up in case of installing a fresh copy of windows.

Mailwasher also lets you use it for free for one address only so this may be a solution for now and into the future, I find spam comes in waves sometimes it dies down to only 3 or 4 a month up to 10 to 20 a day, but at least I get to keep my email address so clients can always reach me. Just don't forget to check your emails through mailwasher first, and before "washing" make sure none of the mail marked for deleting is actually a mail you want to keep. If it is simply right click on the email and select "add to friends list".

Here is the link Mailwasher

Couldn't you just download headers and use automatic filtering, e.g. such as Thunderbird comes with?

Technically you're not receiving spam, but the fallout from spam - spammers have been sending shit with your [wife's] e-mail address as the from: address so they don't receive all the non-deliverable receipts when they get the target addresses wrong. You guys receive 'em instead. Awesome huh?

You (and Telstra) can't stop anyone sending e-mail with your e-mail address; that's just the way it is. (leaving a discussion on SPF and domainkeys out of this one)

Something like mailwasher as mentioned above may or may not assist.

You'll probably find the messages will die down to pretty much nothing soon anyway.

Edited by segger