Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
The Fuzz damn you!

All MMORPGs are illegal

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/bizt...018.html?page=2

According to the Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia (and, one would assume, Blizzard et al.), games without a single player component are exempt from classification.

According to NSW police and the NSW and federal Attorney-Generals, "nuh-uh!"

Never really noticed before that WoW etc. don't actually have ratings labels on them. As a crime, the selling of unclassified material is enforced by police at the state level. So the NSW police are doing the only reasonable thing given the circumstances: telling people to dob in stores that sell these games. Clever. I mean, they could always just go to every games store in NSW are start busting heads... or, you know, call them up and get an over-the-phone confession. But I guess that's too much work.

Well this is certainly bloody interesting. I'd not really noticed a lack of ratings before, I haven't really ever paid much attention to MMOs. Well. There ya go.

A spokesman for NSW Police Minister Tony Kelly urged members of the community to contact local police if they saw retailers selling computer games illegally.

LOL Oh yeah, right, who's going to do that? For starters, most people are probably unaware of legislation and classifications and would therefore not know what was illegal and what wasn't. And secondly, how do they think "the community" are going to see any sort of value in reporting something like that? :-)

What a joke. How many more stories like this do we need until the classifcation system gets a serious overhaul.

If they are indeed "exempt" from classification, that's different to "refused classification". I'm not sure I understand how this is against the law..?

The information that WoW stores on your HDD could be used for anything... It's the data that you stream from the 'States that makes it enterteinment.

If they are indeed "exempt" from classification, that's different to "refused classification". I'm not sure I understand how this is against the law..?

The information that WoW stores on your HDD could be used for anything... It's the data that you stream from the 'States that makes it enterteinment.

Aha, maybe the same way that some docos are 'exempt'. Hmm, still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

... I am so tempted to dob a random shop in.

Thos EB tards have dicked you around for the last time eh?

Well, what about downloadable content? All those new areas and dungeons and shit released for WoW - Do they have to go through a classification process? What about the new DLC for Fallout 3? Does this have to be tested at any stage?

Now, what if that Fallout 3 DLC was released as an expansion pack - Would it need to be reviewed then?

from what i understand WoW doesnt have any classification because it is strictly an online game, which means that any DLC for WoW does not require classification.

I would assume that ANY DLC does not require classification, this would be different if it was released as an expansion pack on CD/DVD if the game is not strictly online.

that is how i understand it anyhow, so i may be wrong.

Retarded retards are retarded.

Tell me about it:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con...995596/s31.html

CLASSIFICATION (PUBLICATIONS, FILMS AND COMPUTER GAMES) ENFORCEMENT ACT 1995 - SECT 31

Minors over 15 not to buy or attend demonstration of RC computer games

31 Minors over 15 not to buy or attend demonstration of RC computer games

A minor who is 15 or older must not:

(a) buy a computer game classified RC, or

(b) attend the demonstration of a computer game classified RC in a public place,

knowing that the computer game is so classified.

Maximum penalty: 5 penalty units.

So, if your under 15, you can have them? O.o (Im still reading, but cant see anything to say they cant)

Holy Crap, my precious penalty units!!! NOOOOOO

The IEAA says they're exempt. NSW police and the state and federal Attourneys General say they aren't. I wonder who'd win that one in a court battle?

CLASSIFICATION (PUBLICATIONS, FILMS AND COMPUTER GAMES) ENFORCEMENT ACT 1995 - SECT 31

Minors over 15 not to buy or attend demonstration of RC computer games

31 Minors over 15 not to buy or attend demonstration of RC computer games

A minor who is 15 or older must not:

(a) buy a computer game classified RC, or

(b) attend the demonstration of a computer game classified RC in a public place,

knowing that the computer game is so classified.

So, if your under 15, you can have them? O.o (Im still reading, but cant see anything to say they cant)

That's the whole idea. If you're under 15 you can't buy them (or, say, go see an MA15+ movie, or watch someone else play House of the Dead) -- you need to have someone "responsible" to make the choice as to whether you can handle the hyper-extreme content.

This is ridiculous...why punish the retail outlet...Should it be them who run the games that they sell though the classification system or the publishes? I don't play MMO's so I would have never of noticed anyway.

Police should be doing better and more important things then beating on the local / chain retail outlet.

What about online distribution as well? Hows that policed / classified?

This is ridiculous...why punish the retail outlet...Should it be them who run the games that they sell though the classification system or the publishes?

It's not illegal to publish an unclassified game, nor to own one. It is illegal to sell it. If they wanted to go after the publishers, they'd need to find a retailer willing to say "They did it! Them! They made me buy the stuff!"

Aren't games with solely online content exempt from classification for the simple fact that they can't put a classification on how the people interact in the games? If I want to call some idiot 12 year old a 'stupid little, cocksucking cunt' I'm going to do it or if someone wants to go down to the deeprun tram for a bit of a cyber no classification is going to stop them. What are they going to do, put an R rating on every online game? Oh wait, we don't have one of those...

There is a lot of misinformed and uninformed trollop being bandied around on internet forums and indeed, in the SMH article.

There is an interview with Rob Robinson of the OFLC (now classification.gov.au) where he said that because of the never-ending nature of online MMOs, plus the fact that in a decent timeframe, the classification board cannot actually play an MMO to its conclusion, MMOs were not given a rating, as such. And there is legal justification for this. Indeed, most MMOs are not even submitted for classification.

"Ron let me know that World of Warcraft was not rated by the OFLC - in fact, was never even submitted for classification - it was a "waste of time" as the game is exclusively online, exclusively multiplayer, and has no defined start and end. Thus it is inherently unclassifiable. "

Taken from:

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2614953

If the stupid cunts who wrote these articles had of brooched the subject with informed sources, rather than spouting shit from their knee-jerk reactions, we wouldn't have this unnecessary controversy, "let the sleeping dog lie" as they say.

Common sense (which is sadly uncommon), would dictate that WoW is barely anything to get worked up over anyway. There is no blood, and it only contains mild fantasy violence at worst (G8+). And that can be found in the starting area outside of Stormwind. To even try to classify an online component of a game basically requires you to classify other people. Which no legal system can do. Legalise can only ever deal with finite things, atleast for the time being.

Also, the US ESRB rating which WoW carries is not an enforcable ratings system, and it is entirely voluntarily (as in, the game makers 'voluntarily' submit their games to the ESRB), unlike our classification board, which is mandatory.