seiko.citizen

Fitting a new HDD + Ram

I'm planning on upgrading my HDD + ram. Now i want to know what is the maximum i could install for both.

I am hoping to install 3gb DDR2 (1x1gb, 1x2gb sticks) and a 500gb 2.5" 5400rpm HDD.

Now since i use my laptop for majority of desktop use, i am planning to buy a 7200rpm HDD.

Would any of you know if it is possible?

Get 2 x 2gig sticks of ram (Dual channel) - I got my pair from PCCG for 65 bucks

Apart from that, should be good - I will point out that when I put the faster drive in my F3JP, it increased the heat a shitload and I dremelled in more air channels

thanks Khirareq for your reply. So both sticks of ram is user removable? But I believe winXP will not recognise 4gb of ram unless I switch to vista :(

As for the HDD, if that is the case, I will have to reconsider the higher speed.

The ram is only an issue for non 64 bit operating systems.

Depending on the Memory used by your GPU you might actually get full use of the 3.5GB that will show up on a 32 bit OS.

As lunchbox said - XP may not recognise it, but usually your mobo will split the ram and allocate some to your video - So, maybe, video part gets sectioned off before windows see's it and wastes what it cant use (Havent played with this thought much - In (my messed up) theory, the mobo should allocate video ram, then you wouldnt have 4gig, so maybe not an issue at all)

But yeah - If its similar layout to my model, both ram slots will be seated next to each other after you remove the large panel on the bottom (Seen some laptops with one slot there, then the other slot hidden under the keyboard)

Edited by Khirareq

I own an ASUS A8Jp (a cousin of the F3 series) and it's easy to change the RAM.

Haven't tried changing the hard drive as yet.

Depending on the Memory used by your GPU you might actually get full use of the 3.5GB that will show up on a 32 bit OS.

IIRC my GPU is not shared with my system memory. I'm running a GeForce go 7300 with 128mb. Can anyone confirm? Or am I misled?

IIRC my GPU is not shared with my system memory. I'm running a GeForce go 7300 with 128mb. Can anyone confirm? Or am I misled?

Actually, it's both ... it will use 128MB but it runs out it starts taking from system RAM.

The X1700 is my ASUS A8Jp has 256MB dedicated will take another 256MB from system RAM if it runs of video RAM.

TurboCache (nVidia) and HyperMemory (ATI/AMD) are fancy marketing for shared memory.

Edited by Jeruselem

thanks.

One more Q before jumping to buy the upgrade parts. Will a 500gb HDD boot up? I have heard that some harddrives over 250-320gb wont boot up due to some restrictions. Any idea guys?

thanks.

One more Q before jumping to buy the upgrade parts. Will a 500gb HDD boot up? I have heard that some harddrives over 250-320gb wont boot up due to some restrictions. Any idea guys?

Hard to say as the issue would be down to an issue with the laptop BIOS itself. The older the laptop, the more likely there will be an issue. It's not an issue with SATA tech. The ASUS F3 is fairly recent laptop so it should be OK but I can't verify that.

Edited by Jeruselem

thanks for the response. i guess the most i can do is update the bios and buy a 500gb hdd and check it out myself. Will report the results once i have dont the upgrade (when i get around to it)

EDIT: WHOOPS LAPTOP, DONT WORRY ABOUT ME, ILL LEAVE THIS INFORMATOIN IS ITS STILL GOOD TO KNOW, JUST NOT APPLICABLE TO A LAPTOP DRIVE.

Why has no one told him NOT to buy 500gb yet?

Mate, what you want is a 640GB drive, made by either Samsung or Western DIgital.

The reason is they're the fastest on the market at the moment.

A HDD is a series of spinning disks, the more you cram onto one disk, the less spin the drive has to do to read that data, thus faster.

640GB = 2X 320GB 'disks' (platters) inside, which is the most data you can fit on 2 'platters'.

If you havent bought yet, for the extra $10 or so, 640gb.

Edited by Master_Scythe