krispy89

Windows 7 Pricing Revealed

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/02/windows_..._200_ehh-2.html

The story was originally by Ars Technica, but the story has now been retracted.

What do you think?

Do you think Microsoft should reduce the price to make it more appealing after the Vista Disaster?

Tell us your thoughts below...

This is my first topic so please go easy on me OK.

IMHO it would be hard to speculate on how much windows 7, in all it's flavours will sell for, as it's still awhile off and with the economy being what it is . Also I would not say windows vista was a disaster it has not been around for as long as xp, so sales figures, while low, will catch up IMHO. And a lot of people have found vista to be better than xp (including me).

Having said that, vista 64bit home premium oem is around $160.00 to $170.00. So for me to make the change to windows 7, it would have to be no more than $200.00 for the equivalent windows 7 oem flavour.

Also welcome to Atomic have fun, post often and play nice. And please read the FAQ Oh and ignore Takoma ;)

Free for me, get it from uni!

But in terms of pricing, i dont think microsoft will even bother to 'make up for vista'. Either way, people will buy it!

Edited by smakme7757

I think it's too early to tell how much it'll cost. I also believe that it will follow in Vista's footsteps which is rather affordable. If you look afew months back, I used to buy XP Pro for $185 (oem) and the current price is around the $250 mark.

Vista cost me $175 (Home Premium 32bit) and $340 (Ultimate 64bit), which I'm more than happy to pay again for Win7.

We'll have to wait and see what the future brings.

Those figures are too expensive for what is essentially a minor update from Vista. Unless I can get a copy cheaply, I'm sticking with Vista, it's not worth over $300 for Home Premium.

What a rip off. Those figures I hope better be wrong otherwise I am staying away from Windows 7. They make stupid versions of the OS then they price it like this? MS are really starting to die I reckon.

What a rip off. Those figures I hope better be wrong otherwise I am staying away from Windows 7. They make stupid versions of the OS then they price it like this? MS are really starting to die I reckon.

Please read threads before you post, lest you make a meal of your foot as you so often do.

Ars Technica (Gizmodo's reference in this instance) retracted their story. Meaning their facts were probably wrong, or came from somewhere else claiming to have information that they simply did not.

i wonder how long untill this gets cracked and torrented

Already happened

Wrong-ish. It's not out yet.

The Beta is currently out, and it's free. You don't need a crack. It was on torrent for about a week before the release happened.

Anyone using a crack or activator on Windows 7 right now is an idiot.

Edited by SquallStrife

I hate windows visit, my friend has it, it sucks. I prefer Linux!!

Ladies and gentlemen we have a stereotypical misinformed user :)

Lol +1

I must admit after SP1 i am really enjoying vista, i use it on all my machines without any troubles!

i wonder how long untill this gets cracked and torrented

Already happened

Wrong-ish. It's not out yet.

The Beta is currently out, and it's free. You don't need a crack. It was on torrent for about a week before the release happened.

Anyone using a crack or activator on Windows 7 right now is an idiot.

Windows 7 is already cracked and there is a crack that will keep it activated forever .. so im pretty sure they'll crack it quick quickly when the full retail version is released

I have the Windows 7 Beta running. As it is, its what Vista shouldve been. Much more simplified and the UI is much much more intuitive. After all thats said, it basically amounts to an update. I cant see myself paying the absorbitant amount that Vista went for just for that. Almost 300-400ish for Home Premium (retail) is a bit over the top.

I hate windows visit, my friend has it, it sucks. I prefer Linux!!

Ladies and gentlemen we have a stereotypical misinformed user :)

Hey I dont like vista either. It just shits me with the way some things work and the system resources it takes. That doesn't make me misinformed, it's just that I dont like it. There's nothing wrong with people liking it but I still think it feels like a rush job. SP1 has fixed a lot of that but it still doesn't feel right to me. I could take your comment and call you a vista Fanboi but it isn't necessarily true (thought maybe you DO have big love for vista).

Hey I dont like vista either. It just shits me with the way some things work and the system resources it takes. That doesn't make me misinformed, it's just that I dont like it. There's nothing wrong with people liking it but I still think it feels like a rush job. SP1 has fixed a lot of that but it still doesn't feel right to me. I could take your comment and call you a vista Fanboi but it isn't necessarily true (thought maybe you DO have big love for vista).

I'm just saying he sounds like the many, many people that go "vista suckz, some computer guy said it was bad so I hate it and I'm jumping on the bandwagon" of course he could have a genuine reason.

I use Vista mainly because it takes advantage of my hardware and is more stable and faster then XP ever was to me, and a large advantage with DX10 making a game I play up to twice as fast with multi-core affinity, I will definitely be replacing it for Windows 7 however like a lot of other users.