Sign in to follow this  
Director

1500 to 8000?

If you're talking ADSL then you should notice a significant difference - at least in terms of line sync. If you're with a crappy ISP or your exchange's backhaul is congested your actual throughput might not increase though if you're lucky this won't be the case.

The biggest indicators of likely sync speed are the attenuation & noise margin on your line.

I'm 4.5-5km from the exchange with 55.5dB attenuation and 5dB noise margin and I'm synced at 3.8Mbps.

Line atten: 37db

Noise margin: 27.4

Attainable line rate: 9952 Kbps (up 1172 Kbps)

according to my modem.

Line atten: 37db

Noise margin: 27.4

Attainable line rate: 9952 Kbps (up 1172 Kbps)

according to my modem.

In that case:

you should notice a significant difference

:-)

The only other thing which bears mentioning is that 8Mbps connections on Telstra DSLAMs have interleaving enabled which increases latency slightly. The impact should be negligable but google/whingepool search for more info if you care.

Yeah, go for it. Mind you it's even better going from 8000 to ADSL2.

I'll bet. We have ADSL2 available on our exchange but only through Telsuc so it's too expensive. ;-)

You might want to take a look at pricing from other ISPs who have access to Telstra Wholesale ADSL2+ (I know Internode does) - some of their pricing is only marginally more expensive than that for 8Mbps connections. It's still expensive either way.

You might want to take a look at pricing from other ISPs who have access to Telstra Wholesale ADSL2+ (I know Internode does) - some of their pricing is only marginally more expensive than that for 8Mbps connections. It's still expensive either way.

Yeah I did that, none of it seemed to come close. I can get 50gb of 8000 for 90 bux a month.

Yeah I did that, none of it seemed to come close. I can get 50gb of 8000 for 90 bux a month.

What ISP is that through?

Schweet,

Change just kicked in, went from 150kbps MAX to 800 ;)

I hate you.

Downstream			  Upstream
SNR Margin (dB):				  9.4					 27.0 
Attenuation (dB):				63.5					 31.5 
Attainable Rate (Kbps):		1888					 1084

So no point in getting a faster connection. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

63.5dB, ali? Farken. Just be thankful you have ADSL at all?! (a few years ago Telstra would have refused to provision it)

What ISP is that through?

Netspace. Soz for the late reply. ;)

63.5dB, ali? Farken. Just be thankful you have ADSL at all?! (a few years ago Telstra would have refused to provision it)

Ye surprised the hell out of me too segger, but thankfully they did seeing as they where winding up domestic ISDN which I was on. Otherwise it would have been back to 33.6K dialup.

What did surprise me is a mate up the road got 512K ADSL and he is even further from the exchange than I am and I was sure he would have been outside the range Telstra would provision at.