Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
2SHY

Vodafone and 3 Australia to Merge

Sydney Morning Herald.

Vodafone and 3 to merge Australian operations

February 9, 2009 - 11:26AM

Mobile phone operators Vodafone Australia Ltd and Hutchison Telecommunications (Aust) Ltd have agreed to merge their businesses in Australia.

Each company will own 50 per cent of the joint venture, VHA Ltd.

VHA will market its products and services under the existing Vodafone brand, and retain the exclusive rights to the 3 brand, which is owned by Hutchison.

Earnings per share for both Vodafone and Hutchison Australia are expected to be enhanced by the deal, the companies said.

A spokeswoman for Hutchison Australia said the company would remain committed to its listing on the ASX.

VHA will be headed by current Hutchison Australia chief executive officer Nigel Dews, with Vodafone CEO Nick Read as chairman.

Current Vodafone chief financial officer Dave Boorman will be VHA's CFO, while current Hutchison Australia CFO Russell Hewitt will be a non-executive Director of VHA.

Hutchison Australia is expected to hold an extraordinary general meeting in April to enable a shareholder vote on the merger.

Hutchison says its board recommends the transaction unanimously.

AAP dmc/pe Earnings per share for both Vodafone and Hutchison Australia are expected to be enhanced by the deal, the companies said.

A spokeswoman for Hutchison Australia said the company would remain committed to its listing on the ASX.

VHA will be headed by current Hutchison Australia chief executive officer Nigel Dews, with Vodafone CEO Nick Read as chairman.

Current Vodafone chief financial officer Dave Boorman will be VHA's CFO, while current Hutchison Australia CFO Russell Hewitt will be a non-executive Director of VHA.

Hutchison Australia is expected to hold an extraordinary general meeting in April to enable a shareholder vote on the merger.

Hutchison says its board recommends the transaction unanimously.

AAP

Whaddya think? I think in these economically tight times its a wise move.

Not that I am with any of them or anything but all I have heard about with 3 is Shocking rip-off bills and Stuffing customres around so I guess its Vodafones choice to merge with 3

I'm with three now and was thinking about moing to vodafone. I've had no probs at all with three though. It could make for an interesting network. They really need a broader 3g presence though to really compete in coming years. Maybe with the 2 of them together they can achieve this.

Not that I am with any of them or anything but all I have heard about with 3 is Shocking rip-off bills and Stuffing customres around so I guess its Vodafones choice to merge with 3

And I hear that about every telco.

3 have just bought in a new fee I see - Was late paying my bill, so not only have I been suspended (NOT disconnected), I have to pay another 35 buck fee to get my service back

Should'a called 'em beforehand. They waive the fee and give you more time.

Also, I don't think it's new... it's been around since at least October last year.

*shrugs

Edited by Girvo

What beforehand? I just got the txt this morning - Check my bank and the Direct Debit had been rejected - No message to let me know the payment wasnt successful - Just suspended and copped a 35 buck fee for it (Not to mention the 40 odd in fees from my bank)

And it hasnt been around since October - not on my account anyways

More pissy with my bank - Rejected it because my account was 7.14 short - Usually they call me or let me know when its overdrawn and ask me what I want to do - What makes me pissy is the money was in there, but looks like Bendigo took their fees out at random again

Plus I get paid tomorrow night - Nearly 80 bucks in fees because I was short 7 bucks 14 cents

Got some more info and my boss is emailing me the press release :)

Seems like it's going to be interesting all-round. Three will eventually just end up trading under Voda's brand altogether. No idea what's going to happen to dealers and what-not.

More info as I get it.

Benefits would be increased coverage and hopefully get rid of that crappy charge when you roam to Vodafone due to no 3 coverage.

Pretty surprised with the bit of news as well, see what happens next.

I'm with three now and was thinking about moing to vodafone. I've had no probs at all with three though. It could make for an interesting network. They really need a broader 3g presence though to really compete in coming years. Maybe with the 2 of them together they can achieve this.

Vodafone have already been rolling out a national 3G network with 900mhz frequency, once active 3G services will cover 95% of Australia's population.

The merger was a bit of a surprise, hopefully should shake the market up and introduce some great ideas like both telco's have done seperately, they are aiming to take on Optus for the #2 spot in Aus so we should see something interesting.

We'll be down about 1mil customers from Optus, so I reckon it'll be an interesting few years ;)

I believe its a great move from Vodafone, they increase their market share and gain some new customers. It will really pay off once the market starts to improve again

Vodafone have already been rolling out a national 3G network with 900mhz frequency, once active 3G services will cover 95% of Australia's population.

The merger was a bit of a surprise, hopefully should shake the market up and introduce some great ideas like both telco's have done seperately, they are aiming to take on Optus for the #2 spot in Aus so we should see something interesting.

As I understand it, Vodafone's network is closely coupled with Optus'. Not a traditional virtual mobile operator, but not completely independent network (thus shared performance impact etc) Their 2G GSM network is their own.

Three share their 3G network with Telstra, and don't have a 2G network.

So you have two companies that have two half networks with different partners. But it might be a way to clean up the network structures overall, and as a single entity they should have more options/buying power and possibly capital to use their own spectrum.

Incorrect [until April].

Three has its own 3G infrastructure. When you are outside of the 3G coverage, you roam onto Telstra's 2G network. Three doesn't share 3G with Telstra, but we will after April, when the new agreement comes into effect, and once the merger goes ahead, we'll see what happens with that agreement [currently it's still going ahead despite the merger].

I don't think Vodafone _does_ share it's 3G infrastructure with Optus, but I could be wrong. They had 7.2mb/s out the gate well before Optus did.

Incorrect [until April].

Three has its own 3G infrastructure. When you are outside of the 3G coverage, you roam onto Telstra's 2G network. Three doesn't share 3G with Telstra, but we will after April, when the new agreement comes into effect, and once the merger goes ahead, we'll see what happens with that agreement [currently it's still going ahead despite the merger].

I don't think Vodafone _does_ share it's 3G infrastructure with Optus, but I could be wrong. They had 7.2mb/s out the gate well before Optus did.

Three's 2100MHz UMTS 3G network originally built by Hutchinson is currently 50% owned by Telstra with both Telstra and Three customers on it.

Telstra bought into it to get into 3G before they built Next G (850 UTMS) - given they have Next-G, they don't market their 2100 3G network much, but if you have a 2100 only phone you can sign up.

Telstra customers can currently use all 3 networks, 850 UMTS, 2100 UMTS and 900/1800 GSM - provided their handset can talk to it.

Three customers can currently use just the 2100 UMTS and 900/1800 GSM networks, with as you say changes coming soon to allow 850 UMTS access - again providing their handsets can use it - and that will be a limitation for many people with older three handsets.

To be honest I never knew that about Telstra being able to access Three's network. I suppose what I meant to say was that Three own all of our 3G infrastructure, but you are correct in that we are sharing it. Interesting.

According to details in current bulletins, all the sharing agreements with Telstra are going ahead, and nothing is changing due to the merger... at the moment, of course. We'll see in due time.

Vodafone have already been rolling out a national 3G network with 900mhz frequency ...

Has this been confirmed? I know Optus is rolling out their UMTS 900mhz network and I know that Optus and Vodafone rolled out their 2100mhz offering together but while I see Optus providing coverage maps with the 900 service listed, I can't see anything on Vodafone's site.

If Vodafone are doing this with Optus again, I will replace my older Vodafone USB modem with one of their newer ones that support 900mhz

Edited by The Tick

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/business/soa/...39155373,00.htm

That one confirms what stadl was saying :)

Now, about the 900mhz band, the releases that we have at work suggest that they are going ahead with the construction of it.

http://www.telecomasia.net/article.php?typ...d_article=12301

We believe the Vodafone-Optus joint venture will be simpler to unwind, since the 3GIS joint venture between Hutchison and Telstra includes all 2100MHz 3G spectrum and network assets. Vodafone Australia is also currently building 3G/HSPA to 95% of the population, based on 900MHz spectrum, while 3 Australia has a roaming agreement with Telstra for 3G services, at 850MHz, to 96% of the population.

To be honest I never knew that about Telstra being able to access Three's network. I suppose what I meant to say was that Three own all of our 3G infrastructure, but you are correct in that we are sharing it. Interesting.

According to details in current bulletins, all the sharing agreements with Telstra are going ahead, and nothing is changing due to the merger... at the moment, of course. We'll see in due time.

Incorrect. 3GIS owns the infrastructure, and is operated on a 50/50 basis between Hutchinson AU & Telstra.

Vodafone & Optus do NOT share a network, but share tower locations in some metro areas with seperate infrastructure.

Vodafone have already been rolling out a national 3G network with 900mhz frequency ...

Has this been confirmed? I know Optus is rolling out their UMTS 900mhz network and I know that Optus and Vodafone rolled out their 2100mhz offering together but while I see Optus providing coverage maps with the 900 service listed, I can't see anything on Vodafone's site.

If Vodafone are doing this with Optus again, I will replace my older Vodafone USB modem with one of their newer ones that support 900mhz

100% confirmed, was supposed to go live December 08 but got pushed back to later this year with no exact date. No Vodafone maps will show the 900 coverage because none of it is active yet, whereas Optus have been doing a gradual switch on as they complete.

Basically, look at the current Vodafone maps and everywhere will be HSDPA, with the added bonus of the lower frequency expanding some rural coverage.

What modem do you currently have? If it's the E220 USB modem then take it back to where you got it from with a "fault" and get it swapped for the new one. They have a 24m warranty and I've replaced several of the older ones for the newer style.